Sunday, March 22, 2015

Review...Inferno by: Kathryn Kelly



Inferno (Phoenix Rising Rock Band, #1)

Synopsis:

I’m a rocker with the eyes of the world on me. Waiting for my triumph or my downfall…just waiting. Most of my life is in my hands. My destiny? That’s another story. My destiny isn’t as debt free.

My band, Phoenix Rising, arrives in Houston to cut a new album. Before we perform our first concert in the city and I choose my groupies of the night, I’m thrust into debauchery. Sleeping with a gorgeous woman twenty years older than me has its perks, especially when her husband orchestrated the encounter and eagerly watches. To me, performing is performing. If a man wants to share his wife, who am I to stop him?

Unfortunately for me, I don’t make a clean getaway as I leave the McCall mansion. Georgie, their sixteen-year-old daughter, is in the midst of her own intrigue, sneaking home in the middle of the night after an evening of drugs and sex with her older brother’s best friend. In her, I see me. She’s lost and drifting. Her hedonistic parents insist she’s old enough to make her own decisions. Instead of time and love, they give her money and things.

I’m a twenty-five-year old international superstar and I know better. I’m cocky and arrogant. I know it so I own it. Somehow, I’ve always bested the fates. I have all to lose—my reputation, my career, and my freedom. Her mother’s jealousy forces my hand and I take Georgie on the tour.

This is our story and our secret relationship and the destruction of my life. You know the adage about secrets? Three may keep a secret, if two of them are dead. Wise words from a wise man. If only I had listened. Secrets have a way of revealing themselves in the harshest way.
 


*Warning this book contains some possible emotional triggers. Sixteen year old h and twenty five year old H. All consensual. Drug use. And a lot of SEX!!

My Review: ARC provided

This book was darker than what I usually read. I can't rate it because the subject bothered me and I don't want to lower a rating just because it upset me. The writing was great and the story itself was good, disturbing but good. There were times during the book I was thinking this is five stars for sure and other times I wanted to stop reading it. I can read about despicable characters and still love a book but the mother in this book is beyond despicable and I had a really hard time with it. I don't know if it's because I have a daughter? But it just really hit me hard. Actually most of the people in this book are easy to hate except for Georgie, I felt so bad for the poor girl no wonder she did the things she did. No teenager should have to deal with the crap she did. Anyone who does and comes out okay is like super human.

Once again I have a love/hate relationship with cliffhangers, this book has a pretty big one and I don't know if my heart and stomach can take reading the second book. I think if the book ended differently I might of even had a different opinion.  I wish Sloane, (and I won't spoil it) but I wish he would have kept his promise to Georgie. The fact that he went right back to his old ways really pissed me off and I don't know now if I will ever find him redeeming. I wanted to scream at him to fight. Fight for what you really want. He had a lot on the on people threatening him too so I wish he was able to fight. I understand his concern but Georgie would never have let the threats of suing happen if he would of just spoke the f up. I know she wouldn't have testified against him. Both Georgie and him let people use and manipulate them.

I also had a love/hate relationship with Sloane, at times he was gentle and sweet and others he was just a complete a**hole. The book actually made me physically ill while reading it, it upset my stomach and I had to put it down. In fact several days have past since I finished it and it's still fresh in my mind. So with that said if you like dark reads and really good writing I think you'll love this book. Will I read the next one? Probably, but not for a while and I'll make sure to have a RomCom waiting on my Kindle after.

I know this review is a little bi-polar and that's why I just can't find a good rating for it.

HEA? (2)<<<click here if you want to know.

No comments: