Thursday, December 4, 2014

Review...Burdened by: Peiri Ann

Burdened (A Burdened Novel #1)

Synopsis:

Eighteen-year-old Tracey Warren is a ‘run-of-the-mill’ high school student on the verge of graduation. She has her friends and her fun; she has life all figured out. Or she thought she did.
Her pedestrian reality crashes around her after an innocuous touch from a diabolically handsome stranger. Just one touch from Nathan Newcomb and her head and her world spins out of control. Soon she discovers that the only cure for the uneasy feelings and pain is Nathan himself. A man whose very existence balances between violent chaos and rigidly controlled dangers.
Nathan knows that the life of a woman mated to a burdened Sephlem is destined for peril beyond a human’s reckoning. But Tracey calls to his desire to experience love in spite of the hazards. And Nathan’s impossibly potent magnetism draws Tracey into a bonding that will put her in mortal danger again and again.
Once the pair becomes one, the threat escalates and nowhere is safe. There are enemies that lurk behind every corner. But the greatest danger may be in the bloodlines that course through Nathan’s veins.

Can a love for all time survive or will their burdened souls surrender and fade away?


Review copy provided by author for an honest review.
My 3.5 star review.

**read at your own risk, there may be slight spoilers.
I love this cover!

Burdened wasn't what I initially thought it was going into it. It's a paranormal romance with a different feel. I really thought the idea behind the book was great but the execution I found somewhat lacking. It started out at a great pace and you meet the h and H right away and (definitely) feel their connection, that spark and chemistry. It was very descriptive and I found myself getting that fluttery feeling while reading about them. Where it lacked for me was getting to the who, what, where, and why's. I found it to be a very long book and as soon as something would get settled or straightened out something new would happen. Nathan (H) and Tracey (h) just couldn't seem to get a break and then to top it off they had to deal with Tracey's annoying friend Glen and Nathan's equally annoying cousin Scott.

http://cdn.buzznet.com/assets/users16/blackbloodycloud/default/hot-demon--large-msg-117849229366.jpg

So in Nathan and Scott's world they mate and when they find that mate there is an undeniable connection that actually hurts deeply down to their and their "mates" core; skin on fire hurt if you are not with that person. And when you are with that person it's the same feeling but it feels complete when you are together like the fire is being put out but your body still is exploding. It's hard to explain but the author did a good job of writing this. What I didn't understand is how these people or Sephelm's both ironically find their mates at the same time after several years. They are very old so it was bizarre that both Nathan and Scott found the ones they should be forever bound to within a few weeks of each other and they just so happen to be best friends. There is also a lot of repetition in it, especially about how they chose each other. It's mentioned a lot.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEiRgLmrtGIk-wzW6qICrhgVVFWTK0Z5ek6q_iaxO_2_TUZEeGBLIUCcwvJIUQvRKqjYC7HAXZKszLlkLPNARa8xFz3bGaZxLLyBUrXXg642mxKlvvqPTBpEEh0cky9f_RkEKSKuqZZN-40/s1600/blog+poll+-+demon.jpg

I loved the darkness and mystery behind Nathan's father but found it odd how his mother let the father repeatedly try to kill his children and be okay with it, Like well that's just your father and he doesn't like what you guys were born as so he wants you dead. I  did like the twist toward the end...I didn't see that coming. I thought the dialogue was great. I found the mind communication very unique to the story and I wrote a note on my Kindle saying "love this," some times when they communicated that way I would find myself laughing and picturing Tracey trying to look sane while having a conversation in her head. It put a little light in the book which I thoroughly enjoyed. Loved Tracey's strong character and personalty. What I liked about that in particular was she was kinda feisty and strong but because of the connection between her and Nathan she found it hard to push him away and I could feel that in reading the book how she was struggling with her independence and being clingy but she couldn't stay away. I really liked Nathan too. He was honest for the most part and what he didn't tell Tracey was because he wanted to protect her and keep her safe. And he struggled with it and you could feel that too. . Unlike Scott who kept Glen in the dark the whole book. Yeah he seemed to struggle with it but it got old and I just couldn't like Scott he seemed like such a hypocrite.

I have a love for epilogues but I didn't feel the epilogue in this book was necessary and it didn't really tie things up for me which I think an epilogue should do. I believe this book is a series so I think the epilogue would have been better at the end of the series. 

All in all I found this book to be interesting it was a different spin on a paranormal romance which I appreciated. As I mentioned before I found it to be a little long and repetitive at times but I think it's worth the read.

HEA? (1)<<<click here if you want to know.


No comments: