Friday, October 28, 2016

Review...One Step Closer by: Kahlen Aymes


This new sexy stand-alone STEPBROTHER is
NOW AVAILABLE.
 
Blurb
STEPSISTER. He hated that f*cking word.
When their parents got married, the only thing Caleb Luxan had in common with Wren Brashill was that they both hated their parents. When he was sixteen, Caleb discovered Wren's closely guarded secret and vowed to protect her: from that day forward she became the reason for every decision he made.
Jealousy and long-suppressed desire overpowered Caleb's fierce protectiveness and they spent one forbidden and unforgettable night in each other arms, but the aftermath left Caleb panicked, Wren heartbroken, and their relationship in shambles. In the time since that fateful night, he’d only seen her once and had only managed to make the situation even worse.
The sudden death of his estranged father calls Caleb home and face-to-face with Wren for first time in years. He is presented with a choice that forces him to confront the painful memories of his youth and his many regrets with Wren.
Like it or not, his father's last, hard lesson, will demand Caleb deal with his long denied emotions for Wren, or let go of her forever.
 
My Review (ARC provided)
 
Wow that prologue started with a bang and I instantly became enthralled with Wren (h) and Caleb (H). This story has a lot of flashbacks from present day until Wren and Caleb’s last encounter about two years prior. I found it easy to follow but I will say I felt it was a little drug out. I thought with the prologue the pace of the book would follow but it was slower and like I said before it was more of a slow burn and built up to the relationship they have. 

Let’s talk about angst…I love an angsty book and this one delivered. I wasn’t sure at first how Macy would do it but she succeeded it making it very difficult for Wren and Caleb. I only wish they would have communicated more and been forth coming in the beginning. I was so happy when Caleb finally snapped. 

Caleb was delicious, he protected Wren and stood up for her the moment he found out what she had been through. He made it his life’s priority to keep her protected and in doing so fell in love, but also helped her accomplish her dreams. When emotions get involved they both make a decision that will change everything.

I am a sucker for a stepbrother romance so I jumped at the chance to read it. I felt the love between the two and enjoyed the story as well as the characters, the only con would be the length of the story, I just feel it could have been cut a bit. 

If you want to read a stepbrother romance that isn’t typical, I say pick this up it was really well done.
 

No comments: