Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Review...Bitter Sweet Love by: R.C. Stephens

Bitter Sweet Love (Twisted #1)

Synopsis:
After enduring an abusive childhood and having her heart broken by the only boy she trusts, Alexis White vows to never let anyone hurt her again. She's left her troubled past behind and starts a new life at college. For the past seven years, her social calendar has been filled with frat parties, drinking, and meaningless sexual hook-ups. Until one night she unexpectedly gets saved by a tall, dark, and handsome French foreigner, Luc Blanchard. He's charming, sophisticated, and very interested in Lexi, who has presented herself as a challenge when she tells him relationships aren't her thing.

She finds herself sucked in by his own intriguing past. But everything changes when Dylan Priestley, the gorgeous boy who broke her heart and shattered her faith in friendship and love, suddenly shows up in her life again while back home on a visit. Dylan doesn't hide his feelings for Lexi, but she can't forgive or forget being betrayed by the one person she ever truly loved.

Despite the pain Dylan's caused her, Lexi is once again drawn to the blue-eyed-boy-next-door. Will Lexi choose the man who seems perfect but hides a dark side or the boy who smashed her heart into pieces so many years ago?


Warning: This book ends in a cliffhanger. This is book one of a trilogy. Release dates will be held close together.


My Review (review copy provided courtesy of Xpresso Book Tours)

3.5 stars

I am so conflicted with this book. First, everyone that reads my reviews know I have a love/hate relationship with cliffhangers and love triangles...well guess what? We get both; the cliffhanger is a biggie the love triangle not so much. So where do I start? Luc...beautiful French mysterious Luc, I loved him in the beginning and I really wanted Lex to end up with him but as some twists and turns are revealed in the book he may not be the guy we all originally thought. Daryn...popular handsome boy next door Daryn, I had my doubts about him and again as some things are revealed everything I thought changed. Then we have Alexa...smart beautiful broken Alexa, I unfortunately had a hard time with her character I just couldn't connect. She made so many horrible decisions for being such a smart girl. We are constantly told in the book how smart she is but then signs are there, she's been through it her whole life and she justifies things...run.
  
The two people that she was closest to most of her life and trusted; her sister Ashley and then her ex Daryn tell her some pretty important info but she brushes it off. Then her best friend and roommate whom she completely trusts said she's getting weird vibes but she doesn't listen. This is a girl in law school and top of her class so I just couldn't by her naivety. That and only that is what’s deterring me from loving this book. She rants about trust and cheating and becomes a total hypocrite. I do understand her self-doubt but there were too many times things happened for her to ignore and when someone repeatedly tells you, you are good enough and loved and that you are the only person they ever would want and you repeatedly push them away, I guess I would stop trying.

I want Alexa to find happiness and I would love to see her end up with her true love, but she needs to start chasing and begging now because I feel he did everything he could have.

I'm really trying not to write spoilers in this review and finding it difficult. So without spoiling I want to say Alexa needs to step up, Daryn needs to step down, and Luc, well he needs to redeem himself. I think the next book is going to be a bumpy ride because Alexa is in deep now and she needs to find away out.

I will read the next book. I want to find out what becomes of this crazy love triangle. And I did enjoy the book it just lacked a little something for me to love it.
  
HEA? (1)<<<click here if you want to know or if you haven't figured it out.


About this author
:
R.C. Stephens was born in Toronto, Canada. She graduated from York University with a Master’s Degree in Political Science.
Her debut Novel Bitter Sweet Love is book one of the Twisted Trilogy. Followed by Twisted Love and Sweet Love Forever.
R.C. is an avid reader, so when she isn’t cooking for her clan or on her laptop writing, she’s snuggled tight with her Kindle devouring any romance novel she can. Okay, with the exception of Thursday nights. She makes time for Scandal and Vampire Diaries. She’s a fan of drama and suspense but she’s also a sucker for a happy ending.
Her husband was her first teenage love. They live together with their three children in Toronto. Loving Canadian winters she could never think of living anywhere else.

No comments: